Thursday, January 15, 2009

My first trip to Bob Bald (Oct 24, 2008)

From Beech Gap at the state line Trail 95 the trail is on an old road to here at Cold Springs Gap just about 1.5 miles. Easy hike to here. 95 veers left here and 54 goes up, up, up to the right. It is kinda steep here to Bob Bald


This was the first time I arrived at Bob Stratton Bald. It rained all night and the wind was around 40mph all night. Bob's Bald is on the state line. The north part is in the Wilderness Area while the south side is not. The south side is therefore cleared but the Wilderness Area is no longer cleared. I have found two water sources there; one is about 5 minutes back down Trail 54. It is a PVC pipe spring but even in the rainy season does not produce a lot of water. The second spring is down the trail toward Swan Cabin. Go down the trail just a few minutes and look to the right.
I have been to Bob Bald three times. This is the first time. I had to get in my tent about 5:30 that afternoon because of the typhoon. Man the wind blew hard. Luckily I had my Boundary Waters Journal to keep me company! Yes that is a flame in my tent. I want to say it gave me some heat but I doubt it. However it was as close as I could get to a campfire that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment