Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gee Creek Wilderness Area (Jan 18 and 24th, 2008)

Now here is a neat place. Gee Creek Wilderness Area. Not very big, not many trails but fantastic! The thing I was surprised about it the amount of trash I carried out in two trips. In the picture above Rod is carrying a bag with all the trash we picked up. Nonetheless, above is a photo of Rod Ray standing near a hog wallow on the trail. We noticed lots of hog sign and deer sign on this hike. The parking area is near the ranger station but not as far as Gee Creek Campground. Gee Creek is a place you ought to visit. There is basically three trails here. Two on each side and one through the middle.
Does this waterfall and pool just yell "SWIM HERE"? If it was not so cool I would have been in that pool. So inviting! I will come back. I want to bring my flyrod this spring and fish this whole creek. Beautiful!


This is the south lip of the mountain. A trail goes along the flat mountain top from end to end but on the south end the trail abruptly stops. I didn't. I just walked right on. However it drops off very steeply along cliff sides and broken, pieces of scree. I thought I would never get down in one piece but I picked my way down the cliffs and made it to the creek.

Now here is an example of one of the cliffs I had to scale down. Dangerous but fun..just the way I like it.

On the west side of the wilderness this is what you get to see. Ha ha ha. The Huber plant.




No comments:

Post a Comment