Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bob Bald...trip 2 (December 26, 2008)

Again...Bob Bald in the rain and cold the day after Christmas. It was socked in on day one and day two. My hope on both trips was to get to the Hangover...but it did not happen until trip three. In the background here is a Jansport Cascade external frame pack.. I have not carried an external frame pack for years but I picked one up for $25 and I liked it except that it makes me taller. If you have ever walked up Trail 54 from Cold Springs Gap you know what that means! If you haven't then you need to use an internal frame. You will thank me! Hint...rhododendron tunnel!
Just for kicks and giggles I hung my food pack at the campsite...not that any animal of any kind would be out in this weather. I left the rope on the tree and it was there the next month when I returned. On my third trip in January I used it again and I left it for you to use. This is all I saw for two days. When I got to the Bald it was so windy that I had to stake down my tent on one corner just so it would not blow away as I put the rest of it up. I laughed so hard because it was just comical. The next day I got up early and went back down to Beech Gap. BeforeI left I ran into a guy from Knoxville that had come up late. He brought his dog and that K9 did not want to be on that mountain. Maybe it had something to do with the boar hunters I saw the day before?!

No comments:

Post a Comment